Wednesday 6 October 2010

Keys n Things.















I've been skiting about how reliable the MX5 is.

Big mistake. After I'd said something like - "Nothing ever goes wrong with this thing" - something did. I have an excuse for my big mouth. After owning many Peugeots, the Mazda's reliability is a constant source of amazement.


What did go wrong was merely inconvenient. The car continued, as they say in the classics, to proceed.

It proceeded, however without benefit of radio or remote locking. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the battery. Both things failed at about the same time. This battery is original. As a 2003 model, it's getting on for seven years old. I don't drive the car every day, and when I'm working west, or travelling interstate, as I have been lately,it can sit for days (and over the last few months - weeks) without being started.

There is therefore a good reason why the radio started flashing "code" at about the same time the remote locking device also lost its memory. According to the techies at Mazda, if the voltage drops below a certain point, it can confuse the in-car computer which remembers stuff like codes. The strange thing is - the car continues to start first time every time, and it cranks over enthusiastically.





Because I'm not the original owner, I didn't have the radio code. It was necessary to take the car to an authorised Mazda dealer to have both radio and remote re-programmed. Apparently they plug a laptop into the system somewhere and mutter incantations as they reset everything.


I can't complain - it cost all of $21. I can't remember the last time I parted with such a small amount of dosh at a garage where something had actually been fixed.

The battery will cark it eventually, of course.

But now I have the magic code.

(Both these shots were taken with an iPhone).

2 comments:

cav said...

Dickhead

First, I know why you took the photo with your mobile phone - you've lost your bloody camera!!!

http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Digital-Cameras/IXUS-Digital-Cameras


Second, if you are going to leave a car idle, get a trickle charge. These stay connected and when the battery is fully charged they then go to top up mode.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12-Volt-Smart-Pulse-Trickle-Battery-Charger-NEW-/110591360821

1735099 said...

Cav
Camera's not lost - I know exactly where it is. Europcars just can't get themselves organised enough to post it back.
I already own a charger. I just didn't hook it up before I left.

Taken for Granted

Pic courtesy Leader Today Yesterday I went to the state school down the road, and voted in the local government elections, something I'v...