Thursday 26 August 2010

Delivery 1















We set off (number one daughter and I) this morning on the delivery trip (delivering a fifteen year old Camry to my son in Adelaide).


Trusting a car as old as this one with such a journey is probably ill-advised, but I'm a platinum RACQ member, so if the thing runs out of smoke, at least I'm not going to be up the proverbial creek etc.


I'd fixed up a few obvious issues - new radiator, cleaning system overhaul and new timing belt. There was no record that the original had been replaced as recommended by Toyota at 100000km, so I took no chances. I've heard that the 2.2lit four powering this one isn't an "interference" motor, but even so, a belt letting go is not good. It had a small oil leak from the timing cover gasket, so this was fixed with the new belt.


A new set of front tyres and a wheel alignment and balance made it sweeter to drive. Even with this spend, the car still cost $1000 less than the original ask.


We made Dubbo at about 4pm as planned with no dramas at all. Everything works as per handbook (air, heater/demister, cup holders - which pleased my daughter) and whilst it's about the most boring car I've ever driven, it's actually not a bad tool for a trip like this.


Even though it's a four, it cruises at about 2200rpm almost noiselessly. The seats are basic, but I climbed out of it at the end of the day as fresh as a daisy. The air is great and better than many of the much newer fleet vehicles I drive.
 

Toyotas are generally characterised in my experience with dull efficiency. Going on today's performance, I'd add durability to that.
 

The other surprise was that it's returning about 8lit per 100km, which is a virtue given what I paid at Moree for unleaded.

No comments:

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...