Sunday 16 February 2014

Poem

My daughter captured this image on a visit to Vietnam in 2007. It's on the Perfume River (Sông Hương)






























Viet 1

I remember an Ektachrome daylight


In the Binh Ba rubber.


She sat, ochred feet resting.


That old, old woman who showed me


How to wear a headband.


She was unafraid of our scout


And his outlandish burst of Armalite;


It was more important to be comfortable.


She ignored us, our useless armour


Mud-green high-tech camouflaged nonsense,


Smiled and smoked a grudged cigarette,


Turned away and thought on soldiers and children.


Her eyes were as wise as Lao Tzu


And she quietly waited for our departure.


04.07.70


I wrote this after an incident on a TAOR patrol when we came across a group of woodcutters in a free fire zone.
We had to round them up and take them across to Route 2 so they could be checked out by the local authorities.
One of them was a very old woman who obviously felt sorry for the hot and bothered digger who was standing over her with an SLR. I was that digger.

She reached up and mopped the sweat off my face with the cloth I was wearing around my neck.

No comments:

Jetstar

Pic courtesy Jetstar I thought I had retired, gentle reader, but now I’m working for Jetstar. I haven’t flown with them for a while, and the...