Monday 7 January 2013

Summer in Adelaide






























It's bloody hot here (downtown Adelaide).

40 degrees forecast today, and already over 20 in early morning. Still, they're forecasting a cooler day tomorrow, which is fortunate, as I'm helping number two son shift house.

The heat here reminds me of Mt Isa. There's no humidity to speak of, which makes it a little less uncomfortable.

It still hits you like a wall when you step out of the plane.

The birds know when it's hot - they disappear. I don't know where they go, but I guess it's somewhere shady, so they don't start falling out of the trees.

It does happen - birds falling out of trees in extreme heat.

There's a lot of stone in Adelaide (in the built environment) and nowhere as much soft semi-tropical greenery as I'm used to back home.

This amplifies the heat. It fairly bounces off the walls and pavements.

There's always Glenelg.

You can usually catch a breeze there.

The fish and chips is OK too.



No comments:

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...