Saturday 5 May 2012

Brilliant Low-Tech


This is how it clips together





























One of the advantages of working with people one-third my age is that they are generally tech savvy, and I learn a lot from them.

There were two good examples of this phenomenon this week on my westward trip.

The first is what could only be described as low-tech, but it works a treat.

It’s a solution to the problem of wheelchair access though a range of doors and lips. Most of the schools I work in are full of them, and they provide barriers to easy access, and the conventional solution of constructing a permanent ramp is not always practical for a variety of reasons.

The clever Danes have come up with a product that looks like a cross between the aluminium matting used to create airstrips during WW2, and Lego.
These are the segments that clip together





























The Occupational Therapist and Physiotherapist that I work with (both in their twenties) have found this, and I helped them install it around the doors of a preschool, so the child in a wheelchair could get in and out.
Almost done





























The high tech solution on the other hand was when a Speech Language Pathologist (again in her twenties) showed me how to connect my iPad to the corporate network.

It’s surprisingly simple, and means I no longer have to haul my laptop with me every where I go to stay in touch with emails on the trot.

Ain’t technology wonderful….

No comments:

Taken for Granted

Pic courtesy Leader Today Yesterday I went to the state school down the road, and voted in the local government elections, something I'v...