Friday 30 September 2011

Anita Heiss's statement



















This is a bit lazy, but it's a reposting of a response from Anita Heiss, one of the people Bolt has labelled "white Aborigines".
There are two reasons for posting it.
One is to counter the "poor martyred me" meme from Bolt and his sheeple. The other is to demonstrate how sloppy his assertions about this person really are. The same inaccuracies were evident in his representations of the other plaintiffs.
Her blog is a cheerful read, so I've added it to my blogroll.
It's interesting to analyse the bigotry behind Bolt's writing. I've come across this thinking before when I worked in North-West Queensland in the nineties with a group of Murris who formed a community based reference group as part of the now defunct NATSIEP programme.
Because these women as a rule dressed well and wore makeup, there were those in Mt Isa who would describe them as "jumped up", whatever that meant. Apparently they had a view of how an Aboriginal woman should present herself, and anyone not adhering to that cliche was fair game.
It was pathetic, and most of them ignored it, but I know it did cause some distress.



















When I left the position in 1996, the NATSIEP committee presented me with a picture. Regretably, I didn't ask them anything about its origin (who painted it - what it meant etc). It remains a happy reminder of those times and these courageous women, who worked so hard to advance their people.
Only a bigot would hold them up to ridicule. Bolt makes a living out of doing just that. 
 

No comments:

Jetstar

Pic courtesy Jetstar I thought I had retired, gentle reader, but now I’m working for Jetstar. I haven’t flown with them for a while, and the...