Wednesday 20 July 2011

Sheer Bloody Arrogance

One amongst hundreds




















This is one flattened guide post.

One amongst literally hundreds lining the Warrego Highway between Roma and Chinchilla.

It was flattened by a wide load carried by a contractor on behalf of a mining company.

No big deal?

Well, perhaps not by itself, but when hundreds are bent to the point that they're beyond repair, that must cost TMR a fair whack. There's kilometres of destroyed posts along this road. I followed one of these rigs the other day and watched it happening..

Now TMR's funds are derived from the taxes that you and I pay.

I don't know how you feel about it, but I'm not happy with public property being vandalised by corporations that are heavily subsidised and making healthy profits.

I wonder how far I'd get if I went along the road and systematically destroyed hundreds of guide posts?

It's indicative of the contempt the mining companies show for the environment out here, both built and natural. No wonder the locals call them "locusts".

No comments:

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...