Saturday 23 April 2011

Anzac Day

















I'm taking a break from blogging until after Anzac Day.

For the next week or so, I will have better things to do as I'm travelling down to the biggest smoke to catch up on some old mates from my section (pictured above). I doubt they look like that now.

In the meantime, below is a poem posted as an Anzac Day tribute.

Up the red rooster!

Viet 1

I remember an Ektachrome daylight
In the Binh Ba rubber.
She sat, ochred feet resting.
That old, old woman who showed me
How to wear a headband.

She was unafraid of our scout
And his outlandish burst of Armalite;
It was more important to be comfortable.

She ignored us, our costly armour
(All mud-green high-tech camouflaged nonsense),
Smiled and smoked a grudged cigarette,
Turned away and thought on soldiers and children.
Her eyes were as wise as Lao Tzu
And she quietly waited for our departure.
04.07.70

2 comments:

cav said...

Which one is you 1735099, Frank, Barney or Dave?

BTW, it's not a patch on my picture here..

http://bloggercav.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-diet.html

ps

Have they cured you of that square gaiting affliction yet?

1735099 said...

None of them - I was behind the camera.
Square-gaiting?
Never happen - vicious rumour.

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...