Saturday 15 March 2008

Transition Object





























I drove 25km to buy the paper this morning. 

This had something to do with the fact that I now own a Mazda MX5 roadster. For years (since I was 17) I’ve wanted a sports car. Arguably, this is as close as I’ll ever get.

I reckon that at the rate my investments are being diminished by the crazy stock market, and the progress of arthritis and advancing senility, I have limited time to realise the dream.

This car was too good to miss. It has 34000 on the clock, was owned by a young married woman who drove it to work, and garaged it nightly. It has all the boring reliability of a modern Japanese car, but is a blast to drive.

This morning I drove down the mountain with the top down to buy the paper. Driving this thing gives a whole new meaning to sensory overload. It’s amazing how much more aware of your surroundings you become without a metal and glass cover over your head.

There is a downside. Cattle crates don’t mix well with open topped vehicles.
“Transition Object?”- This thing will assist in a smooth transition to old age.

Best of all, my children have automatic licenses only, so no more “Can I have the car please, Dad?” 

A six speed gearbox hopefully will be too much of a challenge.



No comments:

Taken for Granted

Pic courtesy Leader Today Yesterday I went to the state school down the road, and voted in the local government elections, something I'v...