Tuesday 1 January 2008

Help for Brigitte



For years I’ve been hooked on French cars – real ones with engines in the front driving the rear wheels. Currently I own two – 1969 Peugeot 404 and a 1984 Peugeot 505. The 404 sits forlornly in the shed waiting reproachfully for me to begin a restoration project. It’s been waiting for eight years now. This was to be a retirement project, but I seem to have less spare time now that I’m “retired” than when I was working.

The 505 was being driven by my son, but he’s moved interstate, and it was extremely unlikely that it would have survived the journey. It’s covered nearly 300000kms, so doesn’t owe me much. Problem is, the alloy motor has been eaten away from the inside by Toowoomba water (not in my ownership – I always used the recommended coolant) and both the engine oil and coolant have both assumed the characteristics and appearance of mayonnaise. These two vital fluids are mixing somewhere in the motor, and Brigitte's condition is terminal.

A major rebuild is beyond my time and ability, so a replacement long motor would be the way to go. The rest of the car is in good nick. So far, enquiries through all my usual channels to acquire such an exotic lump have proved fruitless.

It there anyone out there who knows where I could find a ZDJL 2.2 litre with Bosch K Jet Tronic Injection? The car is a 505 STI with automatic transmission.

I can’t live without her.

No comments:

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...