Tuesday 2 April 2013

We* are better than this
































I'm reblogging this from Above the Fold, because it is well thought through and well written.

I also agree with large parts of it, especially as it refers to the way that federal Labor has behaved since June 2010.

I'd add a couple of reasons to those listed as to why the writer continues to support Labor.

One is that the alternative is worse. I have no desire to see my country governed by the spivs and squareheads that I remember from the Bjelke-Petersen era in Queensland.

The fact that we have been dragged back into that environment by possibly the biggest liar to occupy the Premier's chair in Queensland is also a timely reminder.

The other reason is that the current government has done more for the people I work with than any government since Whitlam.

Having said that, since Rudd's demise, the Labor party has moved so far to the Right, that it no longer represents my political values.

That leaves, of course, the Greens, who on many policies have inherited the old Labor values of fairness, equity and compassion, that have been handed down to me by my parents.

I'm uncomfortable with some of their policies, but would support them in the senate and Labor in the Reps, unless something weird happens before the next election.

*I'm not a member of any political party. I just nicked Monkey Typist's title.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm not a member of any political party"
Yeah we know, you have to cut through the tougher green outer to get to the watery red centre that surrounds the hard black stuff in the middle.

1735099 said...

I hold out the hope that some day you will post something that isn't a sneer, an ad hominem attack, or a simple lazy insult.
It's a very faint hope...

Anonymous said...

Hope/pray in one hand and spit in the other and take notes on which action actually gives a result.
Have you in all your days in schools read "Animal Farm"?

cav said...

There is speculation that Crean may form a breakaway party

1735099 said...

I think he's left his run a bit late.

Taken for Granted

Pic courtesy Leader Today Yesterday I went to the state school down the road, and voted in the local government elections, something I'v...