Wednesday 15 June 2011

More Gesture Politics

I'm writing a caption because I can...............















One of the accusations thrown at anyone who supports action on climate change is that it is “gesture politics”.

Another is that anyone driving a hybrid is “stupid”. Blot has done this more than once.

I was wandering down Margaret Street today past a taxi rank. Every single cab was a hybrid. Funny that.

They’re also ubiquitous in Cairns, Rockhampton and Townsville. Most are purchased by the cab companies through Q Fleet auctions. Many have covered half a million kilometres. Only three two Prius of all sold in Oz to date have needed new batteries.

A cabbie who picked me up in town last month bashed my ear for the whole journey about how pleased he was to be in a Prius, and what an improvement it was on the Falcon he had been driving.

So here we have all these cab companies being “stupid” and indulging in gesture politics.

Cab companies must have changed a bit since I had a fair bit do with them ten years ago supervising the contracts they had for driving kids with disabilities to my special school. Back then (before hybrids) they had a very clear take on the most efficient way to use their petrol dollar.

They must have gone soft…..

BTW - Click on the pic and have a close look at the badging on the last cab in the rank. Apparently it's turbocharged.

2 comments:

cav said...

Cabbies praising their taxis?

What a bunch of girls...

1735099 said...

Cabbies are more refined in Toowoomba, and they speak English - always useful.

Taken for Granted

Pic courtesy Leader Today Yesterday I went to the state school down the road, and voted in the local government elections, something I'v...