Friday 12 August 2016

Some Fascinating History





I’m going through some documents collected from my mother’s personal effects.
The pace of life has slowed a bit, gentle reader and I have time now for this kind of thing.
Mum died in 2001, and this material has been stored away for years.
I’m only now getting around to going through it, and have turned up something very interesting.

My dad served in New Guinea in World War Two. Stashed away in a folder I found the documents above.
They are scans of a newspaper issued to Australians and Americans serving in Papua New Guinea between 1942 and 1945.

Dad was obviously aware of the significance of this particular issue of Guinea Gold, and brought it home with him, and my mum preserved it.

Click on the images to make them (almost) readable.

I should probably send them to the AWM.

Dad died exactly twenty-seven years ago today.

No comments:

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...