Monday 29 October 2012

Storms out West






























You're always aware of what the sky is doing out this way.

The absence of buildings and other visual pollution means that any weather brewing is immediately obvious.

Today there were a few random storms moving from the north west towards the south east as I headed across from Charleville to Quilpie.

It didn't amount to much on the road, but I reckon a few properties to the north copped a bit of a toweling.

I've been lucky in the sense that I've only ever been caught in a hailstorm on the road once in the time I've been working this loop. That was enough, as it turned out - it's not fun.

The only less comfortable place to be in a hailstorm is a light aircraft, and that happened a couple of years ago on approach to Roma returning from Cunnamulla.

It sounded like someone was chucking bucketfulls of rocks at the fuselage. At least on the road you can check the radar and avoid the storm or shelter somewhere.

You can do the same in an aircraft, unless the storm is happening where you have to land, and then you have no choice.

That was what happened a few years ago. I remember it well.

No comments:

Taken for Granted

Pic courtesy Leader Today Yesterday I went to the state school down the road, and voted in the local government elections, something I'v...