Saturday 24 January 2009

On the Road Again






On Thursday and Friday I was back on the road again for the first time this year. There's a little school about 600km west where some staff training was necessary to prepare for the enrolment of a pre-schooler with disabilities, so I set off at first light so that there would be sufficient time to do some planning and orientation during the Thursday and Friday pupil-free days. The early departure meant a view of the sunrise – quite spectacular -


The Warrego at this hour was fairly quiet, giving me time to do a bit of rubbernecking. Near Yuleba is an amazing conglomeration of dongas – probably a depot where they're dispatched from in preparation for the expansion of the coal seam exploitation around Miles/Wandoan/Taroom . A few weeks ago there was nothing – now there are literally hundreds of dongas.






These things are always being trucked around – often creating bottlenecks in traffic – but I guess they provide reasonable air-conditioned accommodation in the summer heat out here. The miners have to sleep. I couldn't help wondering about the future of these new projects given the financial crisis.

I was in Roma by 9am, and was greeted by the sight of a Eureka flag – which made my day. I've always preferred it to the flag we use which has another countries' ensign in the top left corner.

I arrived at the school early afternoon, and was able to meet staff and collect the information needed to do the job first up on Friday.

Next morning, as I was loading my vehicle, the bloke in the motel unit next door was doing the same. He had a jacket with medals (including the Infantry Combat Badge) hanging in his car. I enquired "What unit?" He was ex 6RAR, and had served in both Timor and Iraq. He was attending his dad's funeral later in the day. "My dad never saw my medals" he said – "So I thought I'd better wear them today".
Amen to that.

The weather began to close in on the way back, with spectacular displays of stormscapes pretty much all the way back to Toowoomba.

By the time I got home, we were getting some good rain.






It's great to be back in harness. There's some fantastic teachers and parents out there, and some wonderful kids. It looks like it's going to be a busy year.

Blogging may become a bit sporadic though - I've never really made a success of doing it on the run.

No comments:

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...