Sunday 13 July 2008

Day Three




We’ve arrived in Adelaide, and son no. 2 is already installed in his new digs.

Tomorrow is about getting oriented and Uni booklists. The rest of today is about recovery from three days of driving.

Driving distances like these reminds me of the reality of time and distance in this country. I’m also inclined to believe that journeys such as these will become relatively rare in the future. The cost of fuel is a factor, but the willingness of the Millennials to drive these distances is not as commonplace it is for my generation. They generally find driving through the countryside pretty boring. I find it engaging – but I’m a baby boomer brought up in a family culture of epic journeys.

On this final day, we found the roads quiet, and mostly well-engineered. I’m very impressed by the freeway leading into Adelaide from the East. It has to be one of the most spectacular roads in the country.

I’m also impressed by the performance of the car, which lugged about a tonne of gear halfway
across the country in a very fuss-free manner. It used lots of lpg, but still was much cheaper to drive such distances than a conventional vehicle. I’m not sure if the ready availability of this fuel is a feature of roads further west, but there were no problems on the route we followed.

The other interesting feature of this journey was the capacity of my bush phone to act as a modem allowing me to blog from anywhere I had reception. It is, however, pretty expensive.

No comments:

The Forgotten Men

The Canberra billet which I guarded in 1970. Taken in 2006 with an extra floor added. Excuse the blurry shot.  Between November 1964 and Dec...